What we know as the Sadhu
Vaswani Mission today, was started by Sadhu T.L Vaswani in 1929,
at Hyderabad (Sind).
Kumari Shanti Maghanmal was a devout disciple of Sadhu T.L
Vaswani. At her behest, her father offered a hall where Sadhu
Vaswani could hold his satsang (fellowship meetings). In those
days it was known as the Sakhi Satsang.
In the early days of the Sakhi Satsang, it was largely composed
of women. For in an age when the woman's place was considered to
be largely confined to the kitchen, Sadhu Vaswani was a
visionary who believed that women had a great potential - a
great shakti - which could be utilized for the betterment of the
society and the nation.
Sadhu Vaswani believed that service and sacrifice were the most
vital aspects of the spiritual life. Under his guidance the
satsang was a dynamic organization, rendering service to the
community of Hyderabad - Sind.
A monthly magazine called Sant Mala published by the satsang
carried beautiful articles by SadhuVaswani on the lives and
teachings of Saints.
The welfare department of Sakhi Satsang soon opened a shop
called Sakhi Stores meant exclusively for women and managed by
women too - a truly revolutionary idea for its times, and for
the conservative society of Hyderabad-Sind! The shop sold
stationary, articles of daily use and swadeshi cloth, and was
highly popular among the womenfolk.
Wholesalers and distributors gave articles and textiles to the
shop at cost price, for they knew that they were contributing to
a worthy cause. All profits from Sakhi Stores were spent in the
service of the poor and needy.
Since the shop bore the stamp of the sacred name of Sadhu
Vaswani, people accepted the novel idea whole-heartedly.
Everyday between 5 and 6 p.m. Sadhu Vaswani took up "duty" at
the store. His presence brought to mind the very image of Guru
Nanak, and the rush during this hour was very heavy indeed. As
he sold swadeshi cloth to women, he urged, “Chant Satnam when
you wear this cloth.” Children came to the shop to buy paper,
pencils, biscuits and sweets. They chanted satnam as they
received those articles from Sadhu Vaswani.
Parpati Malkani, one of the earliest devotees of the saint, kept
the account scrupulously. Sadhu Vaswani himself looked into the
accounts from time to time, and as he did so, he would tell his
volunteers: "Honesty is its own reward."
The activities and departments of the Sakhi Satsang grew
rapidly. More and more sisters came forward to offer their
services in the noble cause undertaken by the association. These
women gave of their time and effort freely, generously and in
the true spirit of love and service advocated by their beloved
Master. In so doing, they found a new meaning in their own
lives, and began to know what fulfillment was like.
On 4th June, 1933, The Mira School for girls was inaugurated in
rented premises. The school was the cornerstone of the Mira
Movement in Education. It was the vision of Sadhu Vaswani to
create a school for girls, based on the ideals of new education.
A number of men who were inspired by the master begged him to
permit them to join his satsang. The Master graciously consented
and the satsang and its activities were thrown open to all.
Sakhi satsang now became the Brotherhood Association.
Sadhu Vaswani's service programs in social, educational,
cultural and humanitarian aspects greatly benefited the province
of Sind. His activities grew and flourished until Partition
forced the Sindhis to leave their beloved motherland and migrate